Certification from The Open Group
provides customers with assurance that products and services conform to open standards.
This assurance enables market growth, and benefits customers and vendors alike.
In the Architecture field, The Open Group has defined a number of certification
programs in support of The Open Group Architecture Framework Version 7 (TOGAF 7).
In order to protect the value of TOGAF by ensuring its consistent application and
usage, The Open Group has introduced certification programs for the following offerings:
The Value to Licensees
||Architecture tools which support TOGAF 7, to ensure that
the meaning of a claim of conformance with TOGAF 7 is clear and that the TOGAF 7 ADM is
supported consistently in different architecture tools.
||Training courses which instruct in TOGAF 7, to ensure
that the course syllabus includes coverage of the necessary elements of TOGAF 7 and its
||Architects trained in the use of TOGAF 7, to ensure that
a common core of knowledge and understanding is transmitted in such courses, and that
professional services offered in support of TOGAF 7 are delivered by architects who have
completed the necessary training course and have up to date knowledge about TOGAF 7.
||Professional services offered in support of TOGAF 7, to
ensure that organizations that offer such services abide by an approved code of practice,
and use only properly trained architects for such services.
The TOGAF certification program licenses the use of the term "TOGAF 7"
together with The Open Group Certification Mark in association with Certified Offerings.
This provides the necessary legal framework to maintain the value of TOGAF to enterprise
The value of certification to potential licensees is thus the ability to use the term
"TOGAF 7" in association with products and/or services that support the TOGAF 7
framework and its Architecture Development Method.
In addition, The Open Group:
The Value to Customers
- publishes and publicises the definitive register of TOGAF 7 certified offerings
- issues certificates that can be used by the vendor in promotion.
The value of this certification program to the customers of potential licensees is the
knowledge that the vendor has made a legally binding warranty of conformance with the
Product Standards referenced in the Certification Program - a warranty that requires
compliance not only at the time of registration, but throughout the lifetime of the
product or service offering, for as long as it remains registered.
Customers can therefore procure such product and service offerings safe in the
knowledge that the vendors of such offerings have taken a professional and commercially
responsible approach to the supply of these offerings to the market, and have completed a
detailed Statement of Conformance, which the procurer can access freely and compare with
those of other certified vendors if they so wish.
The Costs - Fee Schedule
The fees for certification depend on the class of certification: see the TOGAF 7 Certification Fee Schedule.
The TOGAF 7 Product Standards
The precise definition of what an applicant must do to qualify for certification is
contained in the relevant Product Standard. There are four Product Standards,
corresponding to the four classes of TOGAF 7 certification:
- X02TA Architecture: TOGAF 7 Certified [HTML,
- X02TB Architecture: TOGAF 7 Tool Support [HTML, PDF]
- X02TC Architecture: TOGAF 7 Professional Services [HTML, PDF]
- X02TD Architecture: TOGAF 7 Training [HTML,
The following documents are referenced from the Product Standards:
- I913 TOGAF Documentation: TOGAF 7 Professional Services Code of Practice [HTML]
- I914 TOGAF Documentation: TOGAF 7 Core Definition [HTML]
The TOGAF 7 CSQs - How to Apply for TOGAF 7
- Be sure you have read and understood the TOGAF 7 Certification
Terms and Conditions.
- Be sure you have read and understood the relevant Product Standards
(see list above), and the documentation referenced from them.
- Be sure you understand the costs involved, if any.
- To apply for certification against the first Product Standard listed above (TOGAF 7
Certified), a certification fee is required: see the TOGAF 7
Certification Fee Schedule.
- To apply for certification against any of the last three Product Standards listed above
(TOGAF 7 Tool Support, TOGAF 7 Professional Services, TOGAF 7 Training), your organization
must have an Annual Commercial License for TOGAF Version 7. There is no further
- The Annual Commercial License can be obtained free of charge by members of the Open
Group Architecture Forum.
- Non-members of the Architecture Forum must apply for an
Annual Commercial License for TOGAF Version 7. The fee depends on the size and type of
organization. The Annual Commercial License entitles you to free annual membership of the
- Complete the relevant Conformance Statement Questionnaire (CSQ), by saving it from the
relevant link below and editing it with an HTML editor (or simple text editor):
- Complete the TOGAF 7 Certification Application Form
(including the payment information), by saving it from the hyperlink and editing it.
- If payment is due, and you wish to pay by credit card, check the Guidelines for Paying by Credit Card.
- Email both the completed CSQ and the completed Application Form to the Open Group Conformance Administrator.
For further information, see the TOGAF 7 Certification FAQ,
and/or contact John Spencer.