Minutes of September 2006 Meeting

Minutes of the 11th Plenary Meeting of the Austin Group
12-15 September 2006, The Open Group, Reading, UK

Andrew JoseyThe Open GroupChair
Nick StoughtonUsenixSC 22 OR, Secretary
Don CragunSun MicrosystemsIEEE OR
Larry DwyerHP (teleconference, full)The Open Group alternate
Mark BrownIBM (teleconference, full)The Open Group OR
Ulrich DrepperRed Hat
Matthew RiceStarnix
Geoff ClareThe Open Group
Cathy FoxThe Open GroupTechnical Editor
Mats WichmannIntel/LSB Workgroup (teleconference, part)
Evan LeibovitchLPI (teleconference, part)

Andrew Josey called the eleventh meeting (a.k.a. Austin/M12, since this counting includes a teleconference) of the Austin Group to order at 9:30 am Tuesday, September 12th at The Open Group offices, Reading, UK.

Meeting Goals

The goal of this meeting is to prepare for D2, including all of the aardvark processing from D1, and current standard. Also to address all of the new material to form editing instructions.

  1. Administrivia
  2. Procedures Update

    No updates.

  3. Identification of Organizational Reps

    See attendance list above.

  4. Status Reports

  • IEEE Status
    A new study group to consider C++ bindings to POSIX has been started, chaired by Ulrich Drepper. This group should report to PASC by April 2007.
  • ISO SC22 Status
    The recommendations made during this year's PAG meeting will be discussed at next week's SC22 plenary.
  • IEEE/The Open Group Status
    Certification program is run jointly. PSE52 is now available. The revision (particularly if option groups change significantly) will affect all profiles going forward, and therefore the certification process. Profile sub-working group will be required to adjust their specifications following the approval of the 2008 standard.
  • C99 Status, C99 TC2
    The main standard is stable, and undergoing maintenance activities only. The new TR on bounds checking is in final approval. The decimal floating point TR is also now progressing again (having been on hold while IEEE arguments were occurring). Unofficial C99 with TC1 and TC2 is available http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1124.pdf. DR review ... DR323 ... after the 3 options in Committee discussion, add another option to remove the entire concept of imaginary from the std. ACTION Ulrich Drepper to prepare a paper making a recomendation on imaginary type in C99. DR324 (perror): committee proposal is to permit but not require te behavior that POSIX requires (making POSIX a CX). DR 322 (wide char). Finalised Technical Corrigendum is now ready for publication (publication is subject to ballot).
  • C++ Study Group. Ulrich reported on the current status; not much has happened. Proposal for WG being discussed. ACTION: Ulrich and Nick to develop a draft PAR and criteria for C++ POSIX binding for discussion.
  • Networking Status
    Sebastien Roy of Sun is now acting as our principal liaison to IETF. No news was presented.
  • Joint Procedures Committee Status
    Nothing new.
  • LSB. Nothing to report.
  • Old business
    Any business brought forward from the teleconference agenda; nothing brought forward from teleconferences. Reviewed recent email discussions, but these should be covered in aardvarks.

  • New business

  • Consent List updated:
    1. AGREED to make all the extensions in The Open Group Extended API Set Part 1 mandatory as part of the Base, and that since strndup() is part of Base, strdup() should move from XSI to Base.
    2. AGREED: The Extended API Set Part 2 should not be a separate option, and all the interfaces should be mandatory in the base.
    3. AGREED: The function names in The Open Group Extended API Set 2 match historical practise, and should be adopted as is (as per the general guidelines for the Austin Group to adopt existing practise).
    4. AGREED: Robust mutexes should not be a separate option from threads.
    5. AGREED: Multiple concurrent locales should be mandatory as part of the Base.

  • Issues List - updated.
    The standard needs a way to open a directory for searching. While the *at functions which are being added to SUSv4 were being discussed, a proposal was made on a way to open directories for searching; initial attempts to formulate this proposal showed that further thought was necessary, and it was not suitable for standardization at that time.
    Document naming issue. Should the document be called IEEE Std 1003.1-200x, ISO/IEC 9945:200x, POSIX.1:200x, or "This Standard".

  • Action Item Review

    1. ACTION 2005-01-01: Don Cragun to present paper on pathname resolution.
    2. ACTION 2006-02-04: Nick Stoughton to submit an aardvark against link() when the appropriate time is reached w.r.t. approval of strawman 2.
    3. ACTION 2006-09-01: Ulrich Drepper to prepare a paper making a recomendation on imaginary type in C99.
    4. ACTION 2006-09-02: Ulrich and Nick to develop a draft PAR and criteria for C++ POSIX binding for discussion.
    5. ACTION 2006-09-03: Nick to provide merged words for fstatat, stat and lstat for editor.
    6. ACTION 2006-09-04: Larry Dwyer to submit an aardvark against pthread_attr_getguardsize to allow the default size to be imp def.
    7. ACTION 2006-09-05: Ulrich to prepare an aardvark (or similar) for sigaction shading changes.
    8. ACTION 2006-09-06: Ulrich to file aardvark against pthread_mutexattr_getprotcol for propogation of inheritance for waiters on non-PI mutexes.
    9. ACTION 2006-09-07: Andrew to ensure that IEEE ballot group formation starts as soon as PAR is approved.
    10. ACTION 2006-09-08: Don Cragun to examine every XCU synopsis in the next draft to check for correctness, and file aardvarks as appropriate.
    11. ACTION 2006-09-09: Geoff to email the points needing consideration on AI-016 to Don.
    12. ACTION 2006-09-10: Don Cragun to submit possible objection to obsolescence of pthread_[gs]etconcurrency by 2006-10-02.
    13. ACTION 2006-09-11: Larry Dwyer to submit possible objections to moving the following options to base by 2006-10-02: RTS, SPI, TMO, CS.
    14. ACTION 2006-09-12: Ulrich to provide words for merging stpncpy with strncpy.
    15. ACTION 2006-09-13: Andrew to make a pass through current closed aardvarks against approved std, to move items to SD-5 or interpretations when ready.
  • Draft & Meeting Schedule

    Draft 2 is expected by the end of October, with a review period of 3 months (till the end of January). Will need another face-to-face in February 2007. Propose Menlo Park, CA (courtesy Sun Microsystems). Week of 2/26-3/2.

  • Draft 3 is scheduled for 5/15.
  • AOB
    1. All members of the Austin Group wish to thank The Open Group for hosting this meeting, feeding us well, and generally taking care of our needs so dutifully.

    The meeting adjourned at 15:36, Friday September 15.

    If you have comments or additions relating to the correctness of the Minutes please send them to The Austin Group Chair. If your comments relate to decisions regarding the disposition of the aardvark please refer first to the Aardvark reports, and then if you still have a comment please send it to the main reflectors so that all can see the issue.