TOGAF® certification provides a clear path for professional development and credibility to employers
TOGAF®, an Open Group standard, is the open Enterprise Architecture standard used by the world’s leading organizations to improve business efficiency. The Open Group TOGAF Certification Program has enabled more than 50,000 Enterprise Architects and trainers around the globe to demonstrate their proven knowledge of the framework.
The TOGAF 9 Certified qualification is achieved through passing two exams, following a course of self-study or attendance at an Accredited Training Course. There is also an entry level qualification, TOGAF 9 Foundation, which is achieved by passing just the first exam. TOGAF 9 certification applies to the 9.x releases of the TOGAF Standard. The current syllabus for all accredited courses is based on the TOGAF 9.1 Standard.
The Open Group TOGAF certification is:
• Used by the world’s leading enterprises to certify a common body of core knowledge about the methodology and framework
• A trusted, vendor-neutral, globally recognized and portable credential
• Valuable in demonstrating to employers and peers your commitment to enterprise architecture as a discipline
• An outstanding career move and a foundational certification in the career of any Enterprise Architect
The TOGAF® 9 Certification for People Program is a market-driven education and certification program to support TOGAF 9.
TOGAF 9 Professional Certification takes two forms:
- TOGAF 9 Foundation. This provides validation that the candidate has gained knowledge of the terminology and basic concepts of TOGAF 9 and understands the core principles of Enterprise Architecture and TOGAF
- TOGAF 9 Certified. This certification provides validation that in addition to knowledge and comprehension, the candidate is able to analyze and apply knowledge of TOGAF
As TOGAF® 9 certification is an exam-driven certification, candidates first need to decide the level they would like to study for, and then after a period of study — attending a training course or self-study — take the applicable examinations.
Two self-study guides are available. The first, The TOGAF 9 Foundation Study Guide, covers the TOGAF 9 Foundation level. The second, The TOGAF 9 Certified Study Guide, is the companion document covering the learning outcomes beyond the Foundation level for TOGAF 9 Certified. The two study guides can also be bought together as a bundle with additional supporting material here.
For those wishing to attend a training course, The Open Group keeps a register of accredited training course providers and a calendar of accredited training courses. These courses are subject to an assessment both of the course and also their personnel and organization. In addition, all accredited training course providers include the examination in their course fee, either providing the examination on-site as part of the course or providing a voucher to take the examination at an Open Group Examination Provider's test center.
For individuals, TOGAF® Certification represents an ideal mechanism for demonstrating knowledge and application of TOGAF. Being TOGAF certified can significantly enhance and affirm your professional skills, improve your prospects for rewarding assignments, accelerate salary and career advancement, and result in greater peer recognition.
For organizations, TOGAF® certification provides a vendor-neutral, highly regarded and global benchmark for identifying, assessing and selecting the most qualified individuals for critical roles and responsibilities. Specifying TOGAF certified individuals in procurement and project proposals can considerably reduce recruitment time and cost, and result in higher project success rates.
TOGAF professional certification can help to optimize the staff recruitment and retention process, and motivate staff to acquire this widely recognized industry standard to authenticate their skills and experience with using the TOGAF standard.
In a marketplace where confidence is a key purchasing factor, suppliers can demonstrate their commitment to open standards, interoperability and proven best practices in enterprise architecture by showing that they use TOGAF certified specialists for specific projects. TOGAF certification is a powerful competitive differentiator that provides your customers with reliable assurance of the skills and capabilities of your IT professionals, and of the quality and interoperability of your products.
Please view the TOGAF Directory of Certified People here.
Questions and Answers
- Q: What certification levels are there in the TOGAF 9 certification program?
- A: There are two levels to certification: Level 1, known as TOGAF 9 Foundation, and Level 2, known as TOGAF 9 Certified. Level 2 contains the learning requirements for Level 1.
- Q: What is the purpose of the certification program?
- A: It ensures that individuals are knowledgeable about the TOGAF framework. It is a common baseline of knowledge. It provides a visible trust mark
- Q: How do I find out more information about The Open Group TOGAF certification exams?
- A: See the Examinations page for information on the available examinations, examination fees, and how to register for an exam..
- Q: How can I achieve certification?
- A: You first need to decide the level you would like to study for, and then after a period of study, attending a training course or by self-study, take the applicable examinations.
- Q: What is the difference between accredited and non-accredited training?
- A: Accredited training course providers are subject to an assessment both of the course and also their personnel and organization. In addition all accredited trainers include in their course fee the examination, either on site as part of the course or a voucher to attend a public test center. Some Accredited trainers also have permission to distribute official TOGAF materials, such as the official TOGAF 9 standard with their course materials.
- Q: Who does the certification?
- A: TOGAF 9 certification is only from The Open Group, and includes acceptance of a trademark license agreement after successful completion of an examination. Certified individuals have an entry on the official register.
- Q: What are the available TOGAF 9 certifications?
- A: TOGAF 9 Foundation and TOGAF 9 Certified
- Q: Is there a TOGAF 9.1 Level 1 and 2 Combined certification?
- A: No, certification is either to TOGAF 9 Foundation or TOGAF 9 Certified. The course syllabus is defined in terms of Level 1 and Level 2, and currently the syllabus is for the TOGAF 9.1 standard.
- Q: How do the certifications relate to the Part 1, and Part 2 exams?
- A: The exams are what you need to pass to reach a certification qualification. There are a number of examinations providing paths to become TOGAF 9 Certified.
- Q: Where can I find out more about the syllabus and the exams?
- A: See the Getting Started with the TOGAF 9 Certification Program page for further details.
- Q: I have a certificate issued by my trainer that says I am Open Group and/or TOGAF certified, is that valid?
- A: No, the TOGAF 9 certificates are only issued by The Open Group. Certification is the final stage of the process and occurs after passing the exam. It includes entering The Open Group certification web site, accepting a trademark license agreement, and then having an entry created in the official register of certified individuals.
- Q: How can I check an individual is certified by The Open Group?
- A: You can check the applicable Open Group register of certified individuals. For TOGAF 9 certification this is available at https://togaf9-cert.opengroup.org/certified-individuals . If you cannot find the individual on the public register, then you should ask them for their Personal Confirmation Code (PCC) which they should share with you, to allow you to check the private register and verify their certification.