This FAQ is to help explain the Master/Slave List control feature within the Sophocles Mail Manager .
- What is the Master List control for ?
- The Master List control is a List Maintainer feature that allows control over who can automatically subscribe to a Controlled list
known as the Slave List. Setting a (slave) list to have
a Master List, effectively gives an entitlement to subscribers
of the Master List to subscribe to the Slave List
with no maintainer or postmaster assistance required.
- Where is this used?
This feature is used within the Plato
web infrastructure. Once you are a subscriber to a Master List
the Mailing Lists screen for the site will identify the Slave Lists
that you can subsequently self subscribe to.
- How do I create a Master List?
A Master List can be any existing list. No specific setup is required.
- How do I create a Slave List?
When creating or updating a list,
by selecting a Master List for a list, the created or updated
list becomes a Slave List.
- Can I undo this feature?
Yes, update the list and set the Master List setting
- How do I subscribe to a slave list?
This feature is typically used within the Plato
3 May 2005