Service-Oriented Architecture Ontology Version 2.0 – Internet Purchase Example
Jill is purchasing a new TV on the Internet through an online sales site:
- Jill is an instance of Actor (person).
- PurchaseTV is an instance of Task.
- Jill does PurchaseTV.
- BuyTVOnline is an instance of Service.
- PurchaseTV uses BuyTVOnline.
OnlineTVSales is the company that is selling TVs:
- OnlineTVSales is an instance of Actor (organization).
- BuyTVOnlineContract is an instance of ServiceContract (and describes how to interact with BuyTVOnline as well as the legal contract between TV buyer and OnlineTVSales).
- BuyTVOnline has contract BuyTVOnlineContract.
- OnlineTVSales is party to BuyTVOnlineContract.
- Jill is party to BuyTVOnlineContract.
The online site is implemented using web site software:
- OnlineSalesComponent is an instance of Element.
- OnlineSalesComponent performs OnlineTVSales.
- SelectWhatToBuyComponent is an instance of Element.
- SelectWhatToBuyService is an instance of Service.
- SelectWhatToBuyComponent performs SelectWhatToBuyService.
- PayComponent is an instance of Element.
- PayService is an instance of Service.
- PayComponentperforms PayService.
- OnlineSalesComponent is also an instance of ServiceComposition.
- OnlineSalesComponent uses SelectWhatToBuyService and PayService.
To complete the purchase transaction, Jill needs to pay for the purchase and then the TV will be delivered:
- PayForTV is an instance of Task.
- Jill does PayForTV.
- PayForTV uses BuyTVOnline.
- DeliverTV is an instance of Task.
- OnlineTVSalesdoes DeliverTV.
- OnlineTVSalesProcess is an instance of Process.
- OnlineTVSalesProcess uses Jill, OnlineTVSales, PurchaseTV, PayForTV, and DeliverTV.