The Open Group Future Airborne Capability Environment Consortium is a government and industry partnership to define an open avionics environment for all military airborne platform types. The FACE™ Consortium is a vendor-neutral forum that provides standardized approaches for using open standards with avionics systems. The FACE Consortium works to develop and consolidate the open standards, best practices, guidance documents and business models to achieve these objectives:
• Standardized approaches for using open standards within avionics systems
• Lower implementation costs of FACE systems
• Standards that support a robust architecture and enable quality software development
• The use of standard interfaces that will lead to reuse of capabilities
• Portability of applications across multiple FACE systems and vendors
• Procurement of FACE conformant products
• More capabilities reaching the warfighter faster
• Innovation and competition within the avionics industry
The FACE Technical Standard is the open avionics standard for making military computing operations more robust, interoperable, portable and secure. The standard enables developers to create and deploy a wide catalog of applications for use across the entire spectrum of military aviation systems through a common operating environment. The latest edition of the standard further promotes application interoperability and portability with enhanced requirements for exchanging data among FACE components and emphasis on defining common language requirements for the standard. To access The FACE Technical Standards and other documents/resources, please scroll down to "Documents and Tools".
> Legal (FACE™ Trademark Usage Guidelines & Copyright Permissions)
New Users - Getting Started
> Introduction to The Open Group FACE™ Consortium Website
> Getting Started - Software Suppliers, Integrators, Acqusition, Data Modelers, Business
> Supporting Technical Ecosystem - Third Party Tools, Products, and Training
> Basic Avionics Lightweight Source Archetype (BALSA), a working software example of applications aligned to the FACE Technical Standard executing in a FACE Reference Architecture.