Open Platform 3.0™ Forum Members' Meeting
Objective of Meeting
The purpose of the meeting was to progress the work of the Open Platform 3.0™ Forum, particularly in the areas of:
- The Internet of Things, Big Data, and Semantic Interoperability
- Capabilities of Conforming Platforms
- Executable Standards
Internet of Things, Big Data, and Semantic Interoperability
The meeting agreed a brief description of the stages of data acquisition and analysis, and of the use of the O-DEF during those stages. The meeting also agreed a description of a simple Internet of Things example, to illustrate use of the O-DEF in data acquisition and analysis.
In a joint session with The Open Group Security Forum, the meeting:
- Planned the continuation of an activity to develop a FAIR analysis of the Open Platform 3.0 Snapshot
- Discussed the security capabilities of platforms conforming to the future Open Platform 3.0 standard
Capabilities of Conforming Platforms
The meeting reviewed the list of capabilities in the current Snapshot, as amended by recent work. It agreed on additions to this list, and on the re-organization of the list. It also agreed that the Snapshot should describe the overall set of capabilities needed by an enterprise, not all of which need be present in every conforming platform.
The concept of Executable Standards is that of Open Source software packages becoming the de facto vehicles for portability and interoperability in place of paper standards. The meeting discussed the application of this concept to Open Platform 3.0, and the possibility of such packages being developed under the auspices of the Forum.
Other than the detailed minutes (available to members), the brief description of the stages of data acquisition and analysis, with supporting example, was the only output of the meeting.
The work of the Open Platform 3.0 Forum will proceed. This will include:
- Development of the Open Business Data Lake standard
- Work to explore use-cases of the O-MI and O-DF standards for the Internet of Things
- Work to establish supporting information and tools for the Open Data Element Framework (O-DEF™) standard
- Work to define best practices for semantic tagging of Internet of Things data, using the O-DEF
- FAIR analysis of the Open Platform 3.0 Snapshot (jointly with the Security Forum)
- Development of a new sSapshot of the Open Platform 3.0 standard, with a more complete set of capability descriptions
- Further consideration of the role of executable standards