Membership and Commercial Licensing
The Open Group licenses the use of our TOGAF®, ArchiMate®, IT4IT™, DPBoK™, O-PAS™, O-AA™ and Open FAIR™ standards for commercial purposes. Organizations that are obligated to obtain a commercial license for one of our standards include trainers, software tool providers, and consultants who benefit commercially from the use of the standards.
There are two paths to obtaining a commercial license, which are described below.
For additional information, please refer to our Commercial Licensing Guide which will help walk you through why and how to get a commercial license with membership, or a commercial license without membership.
1) Commercial License with Membership
Commercial Licenses may be obtained through Membership by joining the Forum that produces the specific standard your organization is interested in licensing.
First, you will need to complete and sign a Membership Agreement. The fees for membership can be found here. Note: organizations that are members of multiple forums receive a 25% reduction in the cost of the additional Silver level forum membership. If you require three or more commercial licenses, it is most cost-effective to become a Gold member.
All members of the Forums listed below receive an entitlement to a commercial license for the relevant standard at no additional cost:
- The ArchiMate® Specification (ArchiMate Forum)
- The Digital Practitioner Body of Knowledge™ Standard (All Forums)
- The IT4IT™ Standard (IT4IT Forum)
- The O-PAS™ Standard (Open Process Automation Forum)
- The Open Agile Architecture™ Standard (Architecture Forum)
- The Open FAIR™ Body of Knowledge (Security Forum)
- The TOGAF® Standard (Architecture Forum)
Then, you will need to complete and sign a Commercial License for the standard relevant to your Forum Membership. Please refer to the commercial license links below for more information on how to apply.
- The ArchiMate® 3.2 Specification
- The Digital Practitioner Body of Knowledge, Version 1.0
- The IT4IT™ Standard, Version 3
- The O-PAS™ Standard, Version 1.0
- The Open Agile Architecture™ Standard
- The Open FAIR™ Body of Knowledge
- The TOGAF® Standard, Version 9.2
- The TOGAF® Standard, 10th Edition
- Obtaining membership with a commercial license is significantly more cost effective. For larger vendors, and for those who will require two or more licenses at some point, it is actually less expensive to obtain membership (with included commercial license) than it is to obtain the commercial license without first becoming members.
- Provides the ability to contribute to the development of future versions of the standard and related guidance
- Can help position you and your organization as thought leaders, by associating you with the Open Group and with the relevant Forum
- Can assist with establishing credibility for your brand, as your organizations will be listed alongside of the impressive list of technology suppliers and end users who are members of The Open Group
- Numerous opportunities to grow personally through leadership of the Forums and work groups
- Ability to network with like-minded peers and other industry thought leaders through the regular Forum meetings and calls
- Reduced fees for attendance at Open Group events
2) Commercial License without Membership
Organizations may obtain commercial licenses without becoming members. In this case, the organization will need to complete the license agreement as a non-member, and remit the commercial license fee as indicated in the table below. Please note that fees are required for each standard that is licensed.
|Annual Commercial License Fee
Here is an example of a small training organization (under $25M in revenue) requiring licenses to two standards under both scenarios (member vs. non-member). As you can see, it is less expensive to become a member to obtain the commercial licenses.
First Course Fees
Second Course Fees
*The second membership fee is reduced by 25%, and the commercial licenses are provided as a benefit of membership.