Enabling data integration
Semantic interoperability is needed to enable integration of independently-developed solutions. This is a crucial aspect of Open Platform 3.0™. The Semantic Interoperability Work Group is part of the Open Group Open Platform 3.0™ Forum.
Currently, semantic interoperability problems are solved on a bilateral basis, and typically require substantial human intervention. The Semantic Interoperability Work Group's vision is that they are best solved on a multi-lateral basis, and with people taken out of the equation. This will reduce development time, and lower cost of ownership of solutions.
The workgroup is developing the Open Data Element Framework (O-DEF), an authoritative common classification framework for business information that provides a standard way of mapping data between systems. It supports automation of data integration, and enables better communication at all levels of the business. It will supersede and replace the previous UDEF framework.
The draft O-DEF Standard was approved by The Open Group Board at its meeting in London on April 28 and will be published soon!
The Work Group also strives to show how semantics can generally contribute to interoperability within enterprise architecture.
- Increase their understanding of how semantic technology can be deployed for business benefit
- Network within a small but dedicated community of experts, and leverage their knowledge and experience
- Lead the development of open standards for semantic interoperability
- Contribute to the evolution of the UDEF
- Help to determine the Open Group approach to semantic interoperability and to set the program of the Work Group